Shweta Saxena is the co-founder of Exploring Startups. Her research, statistics and analytics skills have always been the driving force behind her ingenuity and originality. Right from the start, she always believed that it is better to start a trend rather than following it. She started her career as a management trainee. After gaining some experience, she went on to become the Assistant Professor at Birla Institute of Management Technology. However, the idea of doing something on her own was continuously going through her head.
This is when she started to ponder upon the idea of launching her own website. Exploring Startups is an interesting platform to connect with fellow entrepreneurs, learn and grow together.Users can network, discuss and get their queries answered by the like-minded community members without compromising their personal networking profiles.According to Shweta, it records more than 20,000 users in a very short span of time. Team ‘By The Startups’ had her talk about how she went about developing the platform.
What’s Exploring Startups all about?
Exploring Startups does not tell the world ‘Who You Are’ but ‘What You Are’. It is a platform for connecting startup enthusiasts who have the knowledge and those who are in need of it. Not just you may find help from community members regarding problems specific to your startup, with Exploring Startups,you can also build your profile by responding to the questions without compromising your personal networking site for professional networking. It also helps you in showcasing your startup and its capabilities to the potential users.
How does it work?
• Questions: This is the prominent feature of ES, where one can ask any question on the forum and the community responds quickly by sharing their own experience and how they handled a similar problem. The content generated on the forum is from the people like you and me, who want to learn something from the community in exchange for the knowledge about something else.
- Making Groups: On Exploring Startups, you can form a niche group of friends with common interests. The groups can be public, private or hidden.
- Make your professional network: You can make your startup buddies here and chat with the individual members of the platform one to one.
- Your ES Profile: The best way to benefit from this platform is to enhance your profile with intelligent and useful answers to Explorer’s questions. All the responses that you make are added to your profile, which could be looked-into by founders, investors, HRs and other explorers. This would not only unearth your hidden potential but will also help in getting recruited or gaining business from potential leads.
- Blog: There are also numerous ideas shared on the website for aspiring entrepreneurs who are looking for new exciting ventures. A lot many gaps are identified on the platform, which could generate startup ideas. Not just that, it also invites your comments and suggestions on those ideas. You never know you may end up finding your co-founder here. The website facilitates consumers to choose from the options – the best app based on their own criterion.
What inspired you to build the platform?
I am a Researcher and Consultant by nature and profession. I love exploring interesting things and coming out with helpful insights. Startups being my latest area of interest, I have been exploring different startups in various fields for more than a couple of years. Flooded with insights, I thought of coming up with a website where I could share those with like-minded people.
What is your life mantra?
My motto in life is simple– Follow your Dreams! Most often we are entrapped in the vicious cycle of money and time. You spend all your time to earn money and then you spend money to earn some time for yourself. Most of my friends and colleague I interviewed said they don’t love their job; they wanted to do something else in life. I chose to do what I want to, money will follow.
What was the most challenging part of your journey till now?
I would rather not dramatize things by calling it challenges – difficulties are part of business; we accept it with open arms. So far it has been a beautiful journey for me.
According to you, what are the three qualities an individual must have to achieve success?
Persistence, endurance and humble attitude
Which online tools/ services/ apps do you use the most and would like to recommend as well?
As a blogger, I use a number of tools for generating content, making it more impactful and marketing. But one tool that I use more than my Facebook account is the Google analytics. Nothing seems more important to me than knowing what my readers are linking and what is not working for us. I think I am simply hooked to this service.
What are your plans, say, for the next 3 years?
We are planning to grow bigger in size – team-wise, as well as category wise. We aspire to be the one stop solution for all startup related queries.
If you get a chance to start your career again what would you do differently this time?
I would do the same thing that I am doing right now. I am 100% satisfied with the work I am doing and enjoying building it brick by brick.